Monday, May 24, 2010

In which I walk my friend into the ground.....

As of last week, I've been living in London for 19 months, and it's always been a bit of a sore spot how little of the major sites I've seen. It shouldn't have been a surprise, but when I moved here, I discovered that actually *living* in London takes rather a lot of time, and the Grand (slightly more time consuming)Monuments tend to fall by the wayside. So when my friend Brian, whom I've known since I was 8, said he might come visit I jumped at the chance to have a tourist to show around. By 'jumped' I mean 'Badgered him until he booked a ticket' and he spent last week with me.

Let me just apologize to him now that poor boy, I ran him into the ground with all our tourism. It wasn't quite the "Shara's Death March Tour of Italy" that I did a few years ago, but it was close. In no particular order, our various adventures took us to - Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, Regent St, Hamley's Toy Store, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, The British Museum, Harrods, Camden, Covent Garden, Green Park, St. James' Park, Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Southbank, St. Paul's, The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, City Hall, Hay's Galleria, The London Dungeons,Carnaby Street, The Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms, The Globe Theater, Greenwich, The Greenwich Observatory, Queen's House and the National Maritime Museum.
...phew. Busy week.

Of the lot, I have to say Greenwich was my favorite, as I got to make my pilgrimage to see John Harrison's Clocks. I may or may not also have made myself look quite silly while standing at Prime Meridian....Shhh....


Back to the clocks. Did I mention how excited I was about the clocks? Okay, technically they are called Chronometers, but no matter. I was actually really lucky to see H2, as it is being restored...but i was enough of a geek to recognize it through a window in a smaller display of Naval Chronometers behind the Observatory.




We did a LOT of touring....I'm thrilled...and exhausted.

No comments: