Friday, May 7, 2010

What's there and What Isn't

Yet another day on the Elephant Parade trail, and I will admit to some frustration. Much as I absolutely adore this event, and all the exploring of the city I have done because of it, the disorganization is rather getting on my nerves. I spent about four hours today tracking down the 'northwestern' elephants, around Paddington and Baker
Street, only to have some serious difficulties. I found most of the ones I was looking for in the end, but Oi! The stress! Plus, I'm definitely going to have to backtrack.
#4 - Strawberry - Hempel Hotel.
#67 - Elephant Chic - St. Christopher's Place

After wandering up and down Baker Street for half an hour, I could definitively say that there were no elephants there. So I called up the Elephant Family office (don't judge me) to try and nail them down better, only to find out that they hadn't been installed yet, either. So my issues with the Holland Park Elephants and the Saint Martin's Court elephants were repeated, but on a much bigger scale! Supposedly they were all to be installed by the end of today, but that's what they told me yesterday, so I'm guessing it will be at least another few days of trekking out to locations, only to find nothing there.
#235 - Poppy - Paddington St Gardens (249 Fulham St)
#35 - Bouquets - Paddington St Gardens

The other problem is frequent mislabeling and swapping of the statues. That and the map isn't terribly accurate to begin with. i.e. #103 - Welcome to the Jungle is listed as being on 31 Harbet St, but Harbet Street itself is a rather dismal looking service drive. The elephant is actually in a place called Merchant Square, just nearby. Nice view though!
#103 - Welcome to the Jungle, Harbet St.
#181 - Kubella - The Seaside Elephant - St. Christopher's Place

There was also this little mystery. According to the map, it's supposed to be #111 - Mother Nature. It was at the Hempel Hotel, like the list says, but this one really doesn't look like a "Mother Nature" kind of elephant, don't you think?

#??(111?) - Unknown (Mother Nature?) - Hempel Hotel

I'm wondering if perhaps it's Chestnut and the name plates were mixed around. It sort of looks like it might be a Chestnut.

#36 - Chestnut - Hempel Hotel Gardens
#216 - The Emerald Queen - Selfridges Ground Floor Jewelry

I hadn't planned on going to visit the Selfridge's statues (there are six), but when I walked down Baker Street, there were none to be had where there should have been four. I took the chance of asking in the Selfridge's shop

#135 - Gerald - Selfridges (Staff Entrance, Duke St)
#249 - Spooning Sunday - Selfridges, 4th Floor Furniture

#162 - Gajaraj - Old Quebec St.
#217 - The Spirit of India - Selfridges, 4th Floor Food Court

Selfridges also played host to two of my favorite so far. I'll admit it, I'm a magpie. These ones were irresistible!


#50 - Heaven's Haathi - Selfridges Basement


And then....there was Ziggy....OH MY GOD, THE SPARKLES. I could have stared at this guy all day....


No comments: