Monday, May 10, 2010

Bow Street Runner....

I only saw two elephants yesterday, and then I fell asleep before I could finish uploading my photos for the day. It was a good Sunday.

The two that I caught were both at Westfield. I also caught the dress rehearsal of an acrobatic group called 3D, who were performing for the premier of Prince of Persia that evening. Can I just say that A) they were awesome (and really hot) and B) holy mother of coconuts, I am never going anywhere NEAR that mall again when there is a premier the same day. Crikey...




Today was a bit better re: Elephants, with a precisely (well, mostly) executed tour of the Canon Street/Bank/St. Paul's area. I did miss one of the ones I'd planned on, but I got to see Bow Street and St. Pauls. Which is always nice and historical. I'm always caught by Bow Street in particular. When I first moved to London, while I was exploring with my mother I realized that I actually had a moderate working Knowledge of London....it just happened to be a working knowledge of London circa 1815. This is what reading crappy romance novels will do for you. ( Yes, I like them so sue me. I think of it as bubble gum for my brain when I need a break from studying). I enjoy the historical background of said ridiculous books, because every so often as I am wandering London, I'll realize that I'm near something I've read about. I'll stumble upon St. George's Church at Hanover Square, or be walking in Hyde Park and it will click that this is where "Society" used to promenade during the fashionable hours. It gives me a connection to the past. Bow Street was the first one of these realizations that I had, so it sticks with me.

188 - Mayur Gajendra - Blackrock
186 - Around The World - Blackrock



83 - Midnight Indigo - Bow Churchyard
80 - Ritual - St. Pauls Churchyard

The part that kind of stunk, however, was #201 - The Elephant Outside the Room at St. Pauls Churchyard. Complete with graffiti defacement. Boo, people stink. While I was there I ran into some folks from the Elephant Family org, and the actual artist/creator of this particular Elephant, which is supposed to be an evolving work, and change every few days. They were a bit busy dealing with the defacement, so I didn't stay to chat. But I'll try back in a week or so and see how it looks after they've fixed it up.


and finally, another photo of something other than elephants, to prove that I am actually looking around while I do this stuff!

No comments: