Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Elephant's On Parade

This week Elephants on Parade, an art event for charity opened up in London. Specifically, there are now 250 elephant statues, painted by various (and numerous) artists placed, pell mell, about the city.

Oh look! An opportunity for a photo project/delusions of grandeur. Goodie!!

So, my goal is (of course) to track down and photograph each of these fantastic elephantine creatures. I'm hoping it will be a good way to explore parts of the city I have missed before I move back to the States in July. It's also something ridiculous to do with my time. Most of them are in clusters, so they shouldn't be too hard, but others are rather far afield. Like in Brixton. And Greenwich. But! Never let it be said I didn't try (and will likely fail. epically). I am also under zero illusions that I'm the only one doing this, or that other, better, more dedicated photographers won't beat me to the punch. I'm doing this for me, and for fun.

Without further ado, these are the Elephantines I've "collected" over the past three days.

May 3rd:
# 52 - Oran (You Stole My Heart)
Location: Notting Hill Gate

May 4th:
#222 - The Princess Elephant
Location: Leicester Square Gardens
#221 - Cholai
Location: Leicester Square Gardens
#126 - Untitled (Garajaraja)
Location: Leicester Square Gardens#187 - Heavenly Jewel
Location: Leicester Square Gardens

#110 - Figgy
Location: St. Martin's LaneMay 5th:
#106 - Cosmos
Location: Bank Station
#74 - Elephant Race (In Time)
Location: Bank Station
#215 - Rainforest
Holland Park Avenue
I figure I need to try and average at least 10 a day if I am going to catch them all before they are moved to the Royal Hospital in Chelsea for auction on July 3rd. Honestly...probably more than that, because I'm guessing on the days that I truck out to Greenwich or Brixton, I'll only get the one. So that puts me oh....twelve behind already?

No comments: