Thursday, November 25, 2010

Not talking about it

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm still struggling to be thankful for things, but I'm trying. The family event today went pretty well, no fighting or screaming. I call that a success.

The only time I completely lost it was when we first arrived, and i found myself counting the chairs around the table, and knowing that she wouldn't be there, and that there wasn't a chair set for her. That pretty much did me in and I had to excuse myself from the room for a bit, otherwise, I more or less held it together. Throughout the evening, we all just avoided the subject. There were some memories brought up and a few stories told, but no one breached it head on. I'm still not sure if I think that was a good thing, but I think none of us knew how to deal with it, or how to start it.

Or if we wanted to.....then again, I suppose none of us even remotely wanted to talk about her death, but it might have been better if we had.

I continue to find myself very short fused, and stressed out in social situations. The only way I can explain it in words to people is "I hate everyone", which isn't true, but when it comes down to it, I just get so stressed out that words fail. The result is a very twitchy, snappish me or a completely silent me. I try and stick with the silent version, it results in fewer heads getting bitten off.

No comments: