Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You Win Some, You Lose Some

This week's success: Potato Leek Soup
This week's not-so-much: Chocolate Mug Cake, Cheddar Cookies.

Potato Leek Soup
This turned out really well, but let us be fair, it's really hard to botch something like this. I'm also really biased in favor of leeks, i think they are delicious and they warm my heart. You'd think think I'd be a bit of a weirdo if I admitted that leeks are probably one of my favorite foods (or at least, things to put in food), and you'd probably be right. But I don't care...they are too damned tasty.

The recipe I used was from Cook UK and dead easy to follow. I'm fairly sure this soup is one of the easier things on the planet to prepare, even for one such as me. Ninety five percent of the effort was in chopping the leek and peeling and dicing the potatoes - M&S did not have big potatoes, only little ones....holy crap that took forever, and much love to Rifha for hanging out and peeling/chopping with me while we watched Top Gear (of course, my much loved guinea pigs friends were present for taste testing.

The key to this recipe, I have decided, is adding epic amounts of spice. In particular, i went nuts with the chopped garlic, fresh basil, dried spices (standard 'mixed herb' and 'garlic Italian spices') and particularly the pepper. I'll cop to it, while attempting to add 'a dash' of pepper, the top came loose, and a torrential downpour of pepper went in. I'll admit, when the guinea pigs friends sat down to try it, was a little worried that they were going to choke.

They didn't, it was actually amazing, and probably my best success in cooking so far. (Yes...I can boil vegetables...go me). The combination was great, and it tasted even better when it was cold! This is definitely going to be a mainstay for me during the gross London winter. Next time I think I will try it with cream rather than whole milk, to see if I can get a thicker consistency. This could go horribly awry however, as it might make the whole thing a bit too rich. The soup I got this time was definitely of the broth variety as opposed to a creamy soup, so I'd like to play with that a bit. We'll find out how it goes I guess!

Verdict: A+, the guinea pigs friends enjoyed it too!

Chocolate Mug Cake
I have to admit, I had a lot of hope for this recepie. Really now, what girl doesn't love the idea of just throwing an egg and some flour into a microwave and outside comes chocolate decadence? Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. So this wasn't super exciting. I found the recipe here.
While the recipe did, in fact produce a cake, it wasn't a terribly exciting one. The first mug actually turned out looking more like some sort of mutated coral reef. While the texture was there, the flavor simply wasn't. For the third attempt (second one was already in the microwave by the time we figured out the first wasn't very good) I poured all the sugar and cocoa I had left into the mug. The result was slightly more flavor, but still nothing to write home about. If I try this again I'm going to try adding some chocolate syrup in there, and probably tripling the cocoa and sugar amounts. Also - What the heck is wrong with Tesco, they stopped carrying chocolate chips!! The nutters...the very nice man (who the week before when I asked if they had a halal alternative to bacon suggested using deli ham) recommended breaking up the bricks of baking chocolate by hand...yeah, that didn't happen. The 'presentation' wasn't terribly appealing either!

















Verdict: B-

Cheddar Cheese Cookies:d
Earlier this week I discovered SuperCook an absolutely fantastic little website. Basically, you punch in what you have in your kitchen, and it will spit back out recipes that match the ingredients you have. The result I got was cheddar cheese cookies and cheese mushroom puffs. Seeing as I'd never heard of the former before, i figured I'd give it a try. The end result well....like the mug cake, it worked, but the outcome was utterly bland and boring. The guinea pigs agreed, and I'll admit that these just went in the bin after we'd tried them. I'm rather disappointed about these came out, because with that much butter (and it was A LOT of butter) you'd have thought it was guaranteed to be tasty, alas, although they were visually appealing, they just didn't cut it.















Verdict: D, Big dissapointment

2 comments:

IQ said...

Hilarious read. When are you trying the Cup-in-a-cake again?

Sha said...

Do you mean cake in a cup? I bought some "Spanish Drinking Chocolate" cocoa that looks like it might have some potential, but I feel like i should be using something else instead of drinking chocolate cocoa. Maybe I'd have better luck that way, but if that's what it's supposed to be then it defeats the idea of a 'quick fix' spur of the moment dessert. Either way, we'll see what happens, and I'm ruling out Cadbury's cocoa as a possibility for it.