Wednesday, October 21, 2009

KBC - Week 3 - In which feet are warmed

My project this past week was particularly special and important for me(That's not why I'm posting it late....that's just because I get distracted by *new* projects very easily. But, it's yarn....it goes with the territory). Specifically, because the week's project was for Erika, my 2nd brother's girlfriend. When I think about it, I realize that she's been around since I was in high school, and is currently the longest continuing relationship that any of the siblings have had. I'm fairly sure at one point they'll get around to getting married (in whatever form it takes), and I really am quite fond of her, although I don't see her all too often. But there is something about Erika's steadiness that I have suddenly realized has gone under appreciated amongst my family. We are not a subtle or quiet bunch, and neither is she really, but when we all get together she generally (and rather sensibly) tends to sit back and let the madness ensue rather than trying to control it. As such, I feel like she deserves more. After all...like i said, we're a crazy bunch and she's been with my brother for seven or eight years. That's a long time. She's also funny, very smart and crafty, which I always appreciate. She and Harry have done some absolutely incredible collaborations.

To the right you see the beautiful bird feeder of DOOM. They got tired of the squirrels jumping up and down on the bird feeder, thus crashing it to the ground and letting them eat all the seeds. This was the result: That sucker is copper and stained glass and has to weigh something like 30 lbs when full of seeds. I watched the squirrels trying to figure out how to bring it down, and they were not pleased when they realized it wasn't happening. I absolutely LOVE this piece, and I drool over it whenever I see it.

SO! Because of all this (pretty bird feeder photo included) I decided, seeing as she's been around so long, that Erika is fully deserving of some knitterly goodness for Christmas. It's a small token, but I want her to have it, as in previous years only my sister and my mother have really gotten stuff. Plus, what with her Craftiness, she'll appreciate what it stands for, and care for it properly!!
(If I'm going to take all that time, I like to know they aren't just going to be trashed). I took the time to call up Harry and ask what he thought would be a good idea, since I want this to be something usable, and after a bit of a chat (and some catching up as well, always fun) we settled on a nice fluffy pair of house socks as being the best choice.

I was a bit worried about this, since socks are famous for taking FOREVER and I am no exception to the 'Second Sock Syndrome' epidemic. But, bulky yarn came to the rescue once again. Behold: Erika's Irish-Wellington Socks.

Project Profile: Erika's Fuzzy House Socks
Pattern: Irish-Wellington Socks by Aileen Cahil
Yarn: Mirasol Sulka in colorway 222, 4 skeins
Details: Knit on US 7, 4.5 mm DPNS, for roughly a US size 9/10


Thoughts: Easy, straightforward and fast. I knit the first one in less than 24 hours, the stitches just flew by! Plus, i turned the heel in under 5 minutes, I'm not a particularly fast knitter so that's a big deal for me. I'm a big fan of these and may make myself a pair at some point. They're very basic, and I may add some embroidery later to try and liven them up, but I haven't decided. I wasn't sure what size feet Erika had, and Harry was a bit useless on that topic (he's a guy, it's to be expected) so I went for roughly a US size 9 as a guess, since that's average. They're slightly larger than that, so should be nice and comfy, and if need be can shrink a little in the wash to be a better fit. These will definitely be nice and toasty in the Denver winter.

This week's project (Week 4) - is a bit different....look for many an update this week!

No comments: