Monday, June 6, 2011

Dusting it off

Okay, i've been bad about this. But i feel like i should do it more. (Sound familiar? Shut up)
Let's start with some photos from my visit to my dad in NJ/NYC this weekend.

First up, we have the base of the GW bridge, from Ross Landing in Fort Lee. On Saturday afternoon we took a minor hike down the palisades and along the waterfront. It's a gorgeous view, albeit not always the best smelling. I'm sure all sorts of money has gone into restoring the area, and for the most part, New Jersey/Fort Lee have done a really good job. Then again, it IS the Hudson, so it's never going to be something I'd consider swimming in. There were,however, hordes of people down at the landing barbecuing, playing football and having extended family reunions. I gather that the Landing is a secret place for the Locals, unless you know where to look, you'd never know it was there, or where the entrance was. It also provided some spectacular views.
Second, we have downtown, as viewed from the NY/NJ Ferry, coming into their main departure point in New York (I forget the name, possibly Port Imperial?) When I did an internship in NYC for a summer, I discovered that this really was the most pleasant way to get into the city. Depending on where you are going, the subway can take up to two hours, and parking is obscenely expensive. The Ferry was a nice, happy medium. Also, during the summer months, it was just a nice pleasant commute (instead of stressing out in rush hour traffic, or having to stand for 9 million stops because all the seats were full. This was also right after I took my first infectious disease course, so I was absolutely convinced I was going to get plague if i touched anything. It made for a rather stressful ride).

No comments: