Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hobbies

Lately, I've gotten really into sending postcards via a website called PostCrossing. I'm a big fan of the concept; send a postcard to someone random, somewhere in the world and then someone random, somewhere in the world will send you one. So far I've received cards from China, Germany, Finland, the US, Poland, Brazil, The Netherlands, Hungary and Italy. I've sent cards to lots of really cool places as well. I'm hooked.

With all this postcard sending and receiving, I'm suddenly paying a lot more attention to what's around me, and particularly places that might have postcards. Silly, I know. I've also started collecting postcards...a hobby which I can see as becoming hugely problematic. But no matter, at least it takes up less space then yarn! So far, this is my favorite. Please pardon the crap picture of it, trust me, it's gorgeous.


Last week, while waiting for a friend in Bond Street, I swung by Selfridges and took a look at their current basement exhibition, The Museum of Small Things. I was excited about it, but am forced to admit that the museum was a bit lackluster and unimpressive. All the same, there were some neat things, but mostly it was a bunch of walls with some form of tissue paper on it and flashing lights (the buddha was very cool though). At the end, however, there was a massive collection of free postcards, which I am very much enjoying, and will be sending out on postcrossing over the next several months.

No comments: