Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Careers Advice: I advise you get a career....

So yesterday I had an appointment with the LSE Career Service, it was supposed to be on Monday but due to a mix-up, and a crappy internet based 'hit refresh constantly' type allocation system, I wound up booking an appointment that I didn't get when I actually showed up for it, and went home rather weepy. I came back yesterday, and did manage to get my appointment spot(perhaps due to the weeping stint the day before), to talk to the nice lady, in hopes that she would solve my problems.

Obviously she didn't, as a 15 minute appointment is not going to solve the question of 'What do you want to do with your life', but i was at least hoping for a 'what the hell am i doing with my life right now'. Instead it went something like this...

Me: So i'm hoping to find an internship or volunteer opportunity, something to get work experience in, while i figure out what i'm doing

Her: So what is it that you are interested in?

Me: Women's reproductive health and rights, access to care etc in developing countries. Things along those lines.

Her: But why would you be interested in that??

And this is basically how 80% of our time was spent, her demanding an exact explanation as to why i am interested in health and development...because it's such a 'small, niche area'. Seriously?? I've never thought of women's health as a 'niche' nor esoteric. You'd think I had asked her for help finding a career option that involved braiding purple llama's hair whilst singing electronica to them (accapella style) in the northeast sector of a very small town in Iceland, and ONLY that. Cripes...

Suffice to say, it didn't really help much, but I did pillage the hell out of the career services library and managed to get several websites to follow up with. Here's hoping they turn out to be a better use of my time.

No comments: