Friday, July 2, 2010

For the past several months Alli and I have been working our way through the Harry Potter movie series. I'm incredibly sad that I won't get to go to the premiers of Deathly Hollows Part 1 & 2 with her, particularly as the newly released trailer looks absolutely amazing. Tonight we watched Order of the Phoenix, which is my least favorite of the books, but not a bad movie. The battle scenes at the end, in particular, are incredible. To celebrate, I made Butterbeer, a recipe for which I had stumbled over earlier this afternoon.


Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find butterscotch topping (actually, when i described it, the guy at Marks and Spencer looked like I was nuts. Such things may not exist in England, I guess), so I used toffee dessert topping instead. I did manage to get some A&W Cream Soda though. All in all, it was tasty for the first three sips, then it was just WAY too sweet. I'm thinking if (and when) I try this again, I'll use the club soda instead, and nix the butter entirely. It doesn't add anything...granted, being sans butter and butterscotch may make this NOT Butterbeer, but i think it will be tasty anyway. I experimented on had Alli try some as well, and she agreed with me. We also both agree that adding Rum had a lot of potential as well.....*angelic whistle*

Just in case anyone wants the recipe....

Ingredients:

1 cup (8 oz) club soda or cream soda

½ cup (4 oz) butterscotch syrup (ice cream topping)

½ tablespoon butter

Directions:

Step 1: Measure butterscotch and butter into a 2 cup (16 oz) glass. Microwave on high for 1 to 1½ minutes, or until syrup is bubbly and butter is completely incorporated.

Step 2: Stir and cool for 30 seconds, then slowly mix in club soda. Mixture will fizz quite a bit.

Step 3: Serve in two coffee mugs or small glasses; a perfectly warm Hogwarts treat for two!

No comments: